top of page
ARTICLE VIII: BOARDS
1. Church Council
a. The Church Council shall consist of the Moderator, the Clerk, the Treasurer, the Senior Pastor, the Chairs of the Boards of Deacons, Trustees, and Religious Education, the Chair of the Music Committee, and three members elected from the membership at large. Church organizations may be represented by filling one of the three positions of member-at-large.
b. Members-at-large shall be elected for a three-year term and shall be eligible for reelection after a lapse of one year.
c. Functions of the Council are to:
• Consider the entire task of the Church and to advise and cooperate with the Pastor(s) on the general direction of the Church's activities in the formulation of a well-rounded program.
• Act as a clearing-house for the activities of the Officers, Boards, Committees and Organizations of the Church. All Boards and Committees may make reports at each meeting.
• Provide job descriptions for church committees not otherwise provided for by these bylaws.
• Act for the Church in minor matters, such as sending greetings, or responding to correspondence.
• Between Church Annual Meetings, fill vacancies for unexpired terms on all offices, boards and committees.
• Appoint ad hoc committees as needed.
d. The Church Council shall meet monthly. Special meetings may be called by the Moderator or any three (3) members of the Council.,
e. One half of the Church Council members, plus one, shall constitute a quorum.
f. The Council will elect from within the Council membership a Secretary, whose function will be to:
• Keep the minutes of all Council meetings.
• Handle correspondence for the Council.
2. Board of Deacons
a. The Board of Deacons shall consist of six (6) members plus any Life Deacons. Two Deacons shall be elected each year at the annual meeting to a three (3) year term of office. After serving two full terms, a Deacon shall be for one (1) year ineligible for reelection. All Deacons must have been active church members for a minimum of one year prior to serving. No two members shall be from the same household.
b. For unusual service and dedication, a former Deacon, upon recommendation of the Board of Deacons, may be elected to the office of Life Deacon at the Annual Meeting. A Life Deacon may carry out all the duties of a regular Deacon.
c. At the first meeting after the Annual Meeting, the Board of Deacons shall organize the selection of its own Chairperson, its own secretary, and such other officers or subcommittees as it may ordain. The Chairperson shall not serve more than three consecutive years as Chair.
d. Duties of the Deacons:
• To cooperate with the Pastor in ministering to the spiritual interests of the church and community.
• To assist in the preparation and administration of ordinances, e.g., communion, baptism, etc., and in caring for the poor, the sick, the sorrowing, and the stranger.
• To administer the Deacons’ Fund.
• To receive applications by letter or otherwise for admission to church membership and work as the Enlistment Committee in getting new members.
• To make a biennial survey of the church roll and at the annual meeting submit recommendations to the church regarding necessary revisions.
• To work with the Pastor to hold any Special Service of Worship.
• To determine the regular dates for holding the Sacrament of Holy Communion.
• To provide for the supply of pulpit in case of vacancy and in the absence of the Pastor.
• To arrange for a service of installation or recognition when a Pastor accepts a call to the Church.
• To communicate and discuss pastoral concerns with the Pastor.
e. In the absence of the Pastor, the Chairperson of the Board of Deacons may carry on ministerial duties except communion, baptisms and weddings.
f. The Board of Deacons shall meet monthly and/or upon such occasions as they deem necessary. A quorum shall consist of four (4) members including the chairperson.
g. When necessary, the Deacons shall act as a Response Team per the Safe Church Policy.
3. Board of Trustees
a. The Board of Trustees shall consist of seven (7) members including the Treasurer, who shall be an automatic member. All trustees must have been active church members for a minimum of one year prior to serving. No two members shall be from the same household.
b. Of the six elected members, two (2) shall be elected each year to a three (3) year term of office. After serving two (2) full terms, a trustee shall be for one (1) year ineligible for reelection. From these six elected members, a chairperson shall be elected at the first meeting after the Annual Meeting. The chair shall act as Financial Officer of the church signing all legal documents and speaking for the church on financial matters. He/she shall not be eligible to serve for more than three (3) consecutive years as chairperson.
c. The Board shall meet monthly and/or upon such occasions as deemed necessary. A quorum shall consist of four (4) members including the chairperson.
d. Under the direction of the church and except as otherwise provided, the Board of Trustees shall:
• Have the care and custody of the property of the church which shall include all renovations, repairs, improvements and usage.
• Have charge of its financial affairs, always subject to regulations prescribed by the laws of the State.
• Appoint from within the membership of the church a subcommittee on building and grounds, a financial advisory subcommittee, and a memorials subcommittee, each chaired by a trustee, to follow the policies adopted by the Board of Trustees.
• Appoint any such additional subcommittees as they deem necessary.
• Have no power to buy, sell, mortgage, lease, or transfer Real property without specific authority by vote of the church.
• Have no power to spend in excess of five percent (5%) of the current budget without specific authority by vote of the church.
• Have the responsibility of administering the Church investment accounts consistent with the investment policy adopted by the Trustees.
• Be responsible for conducting an annual stewardship program.
• Follow policies for counting collections and other moneys received.
e. The Board shall require all persons engaged to work on church properties to be covered by Workmen's Compensation and general liability insurance. This requirement shall be included with bid specifications for future work and no persons shall be hired without proof of adequate insurance as approved by the Trustees.
f. The Board of Trustees shall complete a draft Annual budget by September 15
4. Board of Religious Education
The Board of Religious Education shall consist of six members. Two members shall be elected each year at the annual meeting to a three (3) year term of office. The Board shall have supervision and direction of the educational work of the church.
They shall have charge of the Church School with full power to appoint and remove teachers, nursery attendants, and also positions not otherwise provided for, [ i.e. Youth director(s), etc.] also to inaugurate and maintain other religious activities. All those working with children and youth are required to have background checks and to have been in attendance at church for at least one year. (Fingerprinting will be paid by the church.)
The Board of Religious Education may recommend to the Council and Trustees the hiring of a Christian Education Director, who will work in cooperation with the minister and under the supervision of the Board of Religious Education.
The board shall cooperate in the educational aspects of community service and benevolences. It shall determine the distribution of funds contributed by the Church School
bottom of page